Monday, May 26, 2008

Our Angel aka Madi

We had a "fun" experience yesterday as a family. Yesterday, we went to church. Joe had to give a talk and I was to take care of the 3 kids. Madi wanted to sit with a friend. I thought that was a great idea all things considered. Then another sister offered to hold Annika. I thought wow this is great, I just have Gavin. I can do this. Joe was the last speaker . We were doing great. Joe gets up to the pulpit to speak. All of a sudden Madi bolts out of her seat to go give Joe a hug. Ok, I thought, that is fine. Well, she decided not to go back down and sit with her friend. So, I grab Gavin and hand him over to the Sirrine Family. I walk up to the front of the room to get Madi and take her back down to sit. No big deal right? WRONG...She then decides to throw a full fit. I was trying to pick her up to take her away as fast as possible. I then feel her body stiffen and her dress is slick and she slid right through my arms. GRRR...Meanwhile she is crying and squealing, "No, No, No....something something something". I can't remember because I was so thoroughly embarrassed. She is too big for me to pick her up and whisk her away. She wouldn't come and sit with me. Yes, I did feel worse at that point. So, I sat her down with her friends family, "threatened her" and then went and sat down. My heart and mind were racing. Needless to say she did get a good talking to on the way home from church. I had to put a picture of her when she looks so innocent and sweet. After yesterday I needed the reminder. Another joy of motherhood.


P.S. Thanks to the Taylors, Comforts, and Sirrines for helping me.

13 comments:

Keri_B said...

Oh man, I would have died!!! Love the cute picture of her with the post! :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture! But, when you're in the middle of church with a screaming child this kind of picture tends to leave your mind!
Lily used to take our car keys, toys, sacrament, whatever and chuck it as hard and far as she could into the rows ahead of us. Oh talk about embarrassing!!!!

The VanderHoevens said...

I missed seeing you yesterday - we were at your house for awhile. I got to hear this story and am pretty glad my niece is still alive. ;) Not so sure my kids would still be............ p.s. I borrowed your book while I was there. - Valerie

Rachel said...

Oh man! What a moment! For sure it will be a good story to tell in the future and you will look back and laugh. When she has a crazy kid someday you can remind her of this experience!

Rochelle said...

This makes me feel better knowing that my own 6 year old still has major meltdowns! Sounds like you survived...at least you can smile a little about it :-)

Adrienne said...

You know the saying, "I hope you have a kid just like you". Well, I think Madi is like Joe. Is that fair for me? ;o)

Joe Urvina said...

I thought the whole thing was rather entertaining. :)

Keri_B said...

Whenever my kids are bad I say it's because their dad was such a naughty little boy, too. I know Joe wasn't an angel child...

thehalvs said...

My favorite comment on here as that Joe thought is was entertaining. Big difference between moms and dads. I see it in my family too. Gary is so much less easily embarrased by the kids. I don't know if it's because he was used to it growing up in a big family, as opposed to the small family I grew up in or what, but he is so less bothered than I am. Maybe it's because moms feel such personal responsibilty for the rearing of the kids. I don't know what it is, but I want to be able to see this from the men's point of view! I'm so jealous of this much more laid back and certainly more emotionally health attitude. You men must teach me the secret.

Jenn

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the whole ward thought that little episode was entertaining, too! :o) Really, though, Adrienne, you're a great mom. You did the right thing and later you can look back and laugh at the drama. And that picture of Madi is adorable!

Tevita and Jodi said...

Sounds like you handled it pretty well. Isn't it so fun handling all the kids alone in Sacrament? The picture is adorable. I'm sure the ward understands and probably thought nothing about it:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Ade, but I had a really good laugh at this, but I know at the time it wasn't funny, but like everyone else says, you are a wonderful mom, and you did what you could to handle the situation.
my niece is definitely a princess.
Murranda

Brehtt said...

I feel your pain! I have been having some wonderful sacrament meeting "shows" with my kids with Bret being in the bishopric..... so embarrassing.

In the beginning...

In the beginning...
April 23, 1999

Joe and Adrienne

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker