Some people have mental retardation (intellectual disabilities). While mental retardation is not a bad word, when used to describe someone or something you think is bad or stupid it becomes another thoughtless hurtful word. People with intellectual disabilities are not bad. Their condition is not bad. The prejudice and discrimination to people with intellectual disabilities is BAD…and WRONG! Please stop using the word ‘retard’. It hurts individuals and families of those with disabilities.
I looked this up today at http://stopsayingretard.wordpress.com/. I for some odd reason heard this 4 times today. I am keeping an open mind. I just think a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that the word retarded can be hurtful. I am now trying to get this information out there so that people can be more aware. I know people are good and just don't know. I want to get this out there. I know that looking at this beautiful little girl everyday I don't want to have her hurt. She is so loved by all that surround her. I just want the best for all of my children. I hope now that you all know that you can too spread the word.

4 comments:
I've never liked that word either. People use it too much - in fact, Hunter came home from baseball upset that his friend had called him that. I tried to use it as a teaching lesson so that he doesn't use that word, either. People, especially with down syndrome, are among the most loving, beautiful people out there and they're NOT the "r" word. If people would educate themselves instead of focusing on the stigma of disabilities things would be a whole lot better. Sorry this is so long, but I, too, feel very strongly about this.
Great post! I think it is important to give out this information to make people more sensitive and awared of disabilities. In my opinion, a disibility is simply an ability. Have you checked out the church's lds disability website, it's structure for parents support among the lds community. Best of luck....your ward sister www.chapmanfmly.blogspot.com
Good post - I'll gladly join the cause of spreading the word and try to be more aware myself. I used to work in early intervention with children just like your sweet Annika. I have such a soft spot for children with "developmental delays" and such an admiration for their parents & families. You are very blessed and a great influence on others!
Yo, Adrienne. I didn't see a birthday post, but I wanted to wish you a happy belated birthday. Hope you had a great day.
Post a Comment