Monday, June 9, 2008

Jr. Griffey Hits #600!!!


Every once in a while it is important to reflect on one of the truly important things in life. Baseball. Tonight Jr. hit his 600th homerun. It's a shame he did it in a Red's jersey. You may or may not understand my man crush on Jr. and that's ok. I don't expect everyone to understand. I still have the magazines with him on the cover and the signed baseball cards.


Whether it was watching his double on opening day in his rookie year against Dave Stewart in Oakland, him breaking his wrist making a spectacular catch against the wall in centerfield, his walk off homeruns, or him scoring on Edgar's now famous "double" in 1995 he has always had a flare for the dramatic.

I think it was just the joy he had in playing the game. While that smile may not be as prevalent today, in this season of pathetic baseball in Seattle he brings back great memories of what the game is all about.


A dad playing catch with his son, and enjoying every moment.

3 comments:

The VanderHoevens said...

Whether Jeff adds a comment or not - I do believe he has the same man crush you do, possibly from growing up in this area. He was at many of those same games, we have that rookie card, and would love to see Griffey back here in a Mariner's uniform!! - Valerie

Anonymous said...

Jr. Has always been a favorite of mine..Would have liked to see him play for the Dodgers..I remember a game that I think we attended together when Jr. and his Dad both hit home runs..I think they might have even been back to back..Dad

The VanderHoevens said...

I was there in 89 when he hit his first homer in the Kingdome. And Valerie and I were there when he hit his homerun in his 8th consecutive game. It hit the facade right over our heads in right.

Love Jr and even though I was angry for a while, all is forgiven. Time to bring him home.

-Jeff

In the beginning...

In the beginning...
April 23, 1999

Joe and Adrienne

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker