Friday, June 6, 2008
Something to think about...
I have been on a sharp learning curve for the subject of Down Syndrome. I have read articles, found blogs of fellow families blessed with ds children, found support through state programs, and have been reading some books. I have found some great resources and still have many more that I would like know about. I came across a statistic that is quite disheartening. There is a 90% termination rate of ds pregnancies. This is all do to the prenatal testing. I think that it does come as a surprise when you find out but when these people have this child and realize how beautiful and wonderful these people are they would make a better decision. I think that people don't understand and are afraid. I am not really sure why I am writing about this. I guess I just want you to all be aware and understand and to just think about it.......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In the beginning...
April 23, 1999

6 comments:
Those that terminate their pregnancy, don't realize the blessings that sweet spirit would bring to their life...they are so unfortunate to not comprehend the damage they are doing and the despair that will come to them. I wish we could all know one of these special individuals, to interact with them...I believe we would all be a better people if we did.
Love you ~ Aunt Tiffani
Same thing happened with our family and my younger brother daniel. He has Autism and alot of the same things go on when people get that diagnosis too.
Wow! That is so sad. I can tell that you have so much love for that little girl. You can see from the pictures that she is a little angel. I am sure there will be struggles but that is how we become better people. Bret's oldest brother has down syndrome and he is a lot of fun to have in the family. His favorite thing to do is Karaoke with all his nieces and nephews.
How high those statistics are just boggle my mind. I can't even imagine that thought coming into my head - no matter what!
I can't even imagine not wanting the special spirit Heavenly Father sent. Everything happens for a reason, and only choice people are blessed with these children. I just don't think people understand or they wouldn't even consider terminating. I've been around several DS children, and they are pure love, straight from Heaven.
It is really sad to hear that. I found that people can be a little bit selfish I am glad we have the gospel I love the perspective it gives us. Lisa is graduating with her degree in ocupational therapy. She love to work with the down syndrome kids she says they are so much fun. If you ever get stumped with ideas to help them give Lisa a call she would love to give you some advise she has been so helpful to me and Gracie (she has sensory integration dysfunction)
but it sounds like she is loved and that is the most important.
Shirlyn
Post a Comment